Welcome!

"Although globalization has been seen as the defining process of our time, we seem to be uneasy and confused about what kind of world we actually live in."-Carl W. Ernst

Friday, May 7, 2010

Wuthering Heights

I finished Wuthering Heights recently. It is a decent read, and although the plot line concludes with a somewhat satisfying note, I cannot help but wonder what would happen if Heathcliff did indeed read his Bible.

Here is a line from the end of the book, where Heathcliff's housekeeper for 20 years, scolds him:

" ' You are aware, Mr. Heathcliff,' I said, 'that from the time you were 13 years old, you have lived a selfish, unchristian life; and probably hardly had a Bible in your hands, during all that period.' "

I cannot help but wonder that if Heathcliff decided to flip open the middle of his Bible and read a Proverb or a Psalm, the plot line would have changed. I'm certain, actually, that the book would have ended somewhat differently.

If you haven't yet, be sure to read it over the summer. Meanwhile, I'll be starting The Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

2 comments:

  1. I've been debating on whether or not I should pick up Wuthering Heights! Was it worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wuthering Heights is fantastic! Heathcliff definitely leaves the reader wanting more. Read it so we can talk about it!!!

    ReplyDelete